Saturday 31 March 2012

The Streets Know Me Better

Met a man last night
He introduced me to a new life
Bought me a lovely dress
and a nice pair of shoes
And introduced me to soap
shower gel and water.

He introduced me to decency
A life I am not accustomed to
Because the streets taught me otherwise
I was scared to try the new dish
of steaming hot fried meat and rice
and of hot coffee and fresh fruits
This is not the life I know
I know cold left over food and
stale fruits
Dirty and tattered rags for clothes
Cold, rough and dusty floors as beds.

Then he took me to his house
Gave me a bed to lie on
With blankets and something he called duvet
He introduced me to comfort, and warmth
He shown me affection
and kindness that I felt scared
This new life felt strange.

The following morning
I ran away
Back to my old tatters and
the stale food,
The cold and dusty floors
Back to the streets.

He could never have understood why,
But I know best
These streets know me better.

No comments:

Post a Comment