Wednesday 24 July 2013

We Used To

We used to lie down
on this tiny bed
with a flicker of a paraffin lamp
lighting our little house
we had fun
we said, it was romantic
a plate of boiled rice and beans
was our once a week special meal
going hungry the rest of the week
was just... normal
My wholly patched yet torn shorts
used to turn you on
they gave you easy access, you said
But now,
paraffin smell gives you respiratory diseases
dim light strains your eyes
our 'mkeka' mattress hurts your back
a grain of bean bloats your stomach
unwashed fruits constipate you
the language for the affluent
we mocked it together, remember?
But you are in the limelight now
show after show, paycheck after another
Hail to the music I inspired you to write
now you sing to the women in your videos
Dancing bare bottomed to your face
while you squeeze and spank
sending Shout outs to your newly acquired friends
In an accent so foreign
I have lost you to fame my darling
Fame has taken you away from me
Fame has robbed my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment