Sunday 7 October 2012

Look at Me Now.

I threw my pride to the dogs.
When my sons slept hungry
and my mother's tumor killed her
for I could not afford her medication.
My sister hadn't finished studying the alphabet,
before they kicked her out of school.
Poverty stripped me naked.

Now hot pants and tube tops give me life.
For they tease with such ease
and get me food on my table
and my sons can eat well,
sleep in comfort and go to good schools.

My pastor said,
"Child you're tripping,
this you do is immoral."
But my pastor doesn't know
I can neither fill a plate with morality and feed on it
nor can I sign 'morality' on my cheques and bills.
I need the money. I need to survive.
My standard four education cannot get me that.

So I drained all hopes,
lost all dignity
and my pride,

I fed it to the dogs.

1 comment: